Tuesday, March 4, 2008

The Search for an Apartment

Recently, there has been a high demand to find an apartment. Everyone I talk to has either found a place or is looking for one. University Park is not the easiest place to find a reasonably priced, good location, correct number of bedrooms, etc. As my two roommates for next year and I go driving and walking around the area we struggle to find a three bedroom place that is not $4000 a month to rent. If we were at many other college campuses, it would be so much easier to find a decent, well-priced place to live. Not only are the places to live so expensive, but they are also are requiring 1 year leases starting in may. We have to pay to have the apartment for the whole summer we are not there. I do not want to live in a dorm next year because i want to be able to freely have a kitchen and living room. I am sure a lot of other bloggers are struggling with this problem.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a real problem because SMU has not done enough to meet the students' needs. They need to follow the example of other schools and build apartments on campus. I think that might be planned for the land where the Baird bakery was, across Mockingbird. but not in time for your class.

ahd said...

Being one of your future roomates, I am in the same situation. Everything close to campus has astronomically high prices. If I went to school at University of Georgia in my home state and paid in-state tuition, my college education would be virtually free thanks to the Hope Scholarship. Not to mention, living in Athens is about a 1/3 of the price of Highland or University Park. SMU is a very expensive school to attend because of many of the luxuries around campus and the high living expenses around Dallas.